Second thoughts about that tattoo?
Many people experience the same thoughts! Thousands of people get tattoos every day and nearly one third of all people regret their tattoo. Oftentimes tattoo decisions are made on a whim and are often given much second thought shortly after. Do you just want your tattoo to go away? Do you wish you never got the tattoo in the first place? Well thankfully to advancing laser technology, most tattoos can be removed without even a scar left behind!
FAQs for Tattoo Removal
How is my tattoo removed?
The latest advances in laser technology are commonly used in order to significantly diminish appearance of or even completely remove most tattoos. The laser light targets the ink particles of the tattoo and breaks down the tattoo into small enough ink particles that are naturally absorbed and processed out by your body's immune system. Approximately 95% of the ink particles are eliminated internally through your body and the remaining 5% is processed out through blistering, scabbing or skin cell turnover following the laser treatments. This process generally takes several weeks for your body's natural processes to eliminate all ink particles. Larger tattoos may require several treatments.
The treated region will scab over and the scab will fall off after several days, also removing more ink particles.
Does the treatment hurt?
Most treatments do not require anesthetics. However, Dr. Balshi prefers to use local anesthesia to ensure his patients feel more comfortable and experience the least amount of pain during the treatment sessions.
How many treatment sessions will I need?
The number of treatment sessions needed to completely diminish appearance of your tattoo will depend on a variety of elements of the tattoo itself including: the size, color, depth and location of the tattoo on your body. Sessions are generally spaced within 4 to 8 weeks of each other in order to allow your body to eliminate the maximum quantity of tattoo ink through its natural processes. After each treatment you will notice the tattoo fading even more as your body performs the natural detoxification processes and removes the tattoo pigments. Usually, improvement in tattoo visibility is noticed after the first treatment session. Oftentimes, very large or deeply pigmented tattoos may require several treatments to achieve optimal results.
How will my skin look after treatment?
Directly after the laser treatment, your tattoo will appear with a white discoloration and the area surrounding the tattoo may experience slight swelling. Aftercare procedures are also a critical part in ensuring your laser tattoo removal treatment heals properly. Antibiotic ointment and a gauze covering are applied that must remain on the affected area for approximately 3 to 5 days, being changed daily.
Are there any side effects?
Rarely, patients may experience a slight whitening of the skin and loss of normal skin color. Skin color typically returns to the natural skin tone within 3 months as the whitening diminishes. Please note that results are not guaranteed and as tattoo ink is unregulated and not controlled, some patients may not achieve optimal results even after multiple laser treatments.